Pouted lips, kissy face. Both are popular selfie poses. When talking about lips these days: big is beautiful. Older women want fuller lips to feel more feminine again, as estrogen affects the size of the upper lip when one gets older. Younger girls like to be more sensual and sexual.
Of course there is the possibility to inject a filler into lips to create more volume. But there are also less invasive options.
1. Use a lip liner either in the same color as your lips (when you’re not wearing lipstick) or in the same color as your lipstick to draw just outside the lines. Don’t forget to follow the natural lip line to create a realistic shape.
2. Dap a bit of highlighter (or a pearlescent shimmery eye shadow) on the Cupid’s bow - that’s where upper lip comes together right underneath the nose. The upper lip immediately ‘grows’ a few sizes.
Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick.
€ 47 Douglas.nl / $ 44 Sephora.com
3. Sweep a bit of matte bronzer underneath the centre of your lower lip, to fake a bit of shadow. Now this one looks much fuller.
Shiseido Bronzing Powder Oil Free.
€ 38,95 Douglas.nl / $ 35 Sephora.com
4. Try a lip gloss with voluminizing ingredients. A lot of them are based on ‘irritating’ the lips (with e.g. cinnamon or mint), so they get a bit swollen. Light reflecting particles also create a maximizing illusion.
Smashbox O-Plump Intuitive Lip Plumper With Goji Berry-C Complex.
€ 23,50 / 10,5ml Douglas.nl / $ 26 Sephora.com
5. The instruction videos for this last possibility have been viewed on Youtube over hundreds of thousands times: the lip plumper. It’s a little red cap that’s placed over the mouth. Then all the air has to be sucked in to create a vacuum effect. Lips get pulled inside the cap for a few seconds, this can be a bit hurtful and lips can turn into a curious purplish color. The effect lasts about two hours, after that lips get back in their natural shape. Being beautiful comes with a price they say, even though the results are just for such short amount of time.
By Melvin Balvers